Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Where was I?

Oh yeah, I have a blog. I have been sewing things...just preoccupied with this business of being a stay-at-home mom. Or SAHM as all you acronym-savvy folks out there know...it's a whole different sub-culture I'm finding. And I love it. I'm so blessed to be home taking care of my baby girl, watching her change and grow. She is doing something new all the time! Every week is different.

Anyway...today I'm sharing a little about Lorelai's baby quilt. Probably a year or so before I even got pregnant, I decided I had to use Bonnie & Camille fabrics for a baby quilt if I ever had a girl. I LOVE their fabric lines, specifically Ruby, Vintage Modern, and Marmalade. These lines are all a bit old news now, but I love the fresh, cheery colors, the sweet designs, and vintage flair. After considering a few blocks and quilt designs, I settled on 'Mother's Day Bouquet' from the Sweet Celebrations with the Moda Bake Shop Chefs book. I liked the simple flower design and thought the blocks would show off the fabrics nicely. I sized the quilt down from the book to be closer to 50" x 50", a nice baby quilt size.



I actually finished piecing the last block for this quilt just an hour or two before I went into labor. I love that Lorelai's quilt brings back memories of her birth. She's not even a year old and I'm already nostalgic.

With a newborn in the house I just wasn't up to quilting this one. I wanted it finished so I could start using it, so I took it to the local long-arm quilter I've used in the past. She quilted it with an old-fashioned rose pattern and I love how it complements the fabrics.

The back of this quilt is special too. At my baby shower, each guest filled out a fabric square with their signature, a message, or drawing...whatever they chose. These squares are pieced into the back for Lorelai to read and treasure when she is older.

I finished Lorelai's quilt this past winter and we've been using it regularly as a play quilt in our living room. It is already well-loved :-). And I couldn't pass up this opportunity to share these photos of Lorelai on the quilt...I just love when she blows raspberries!


No comments:

Post a Comment