Thursday, February 27, 2014

A Baby Boy Quilt

Last August my best friend had her first child, a sweet baby boy. We were pregnant at the same time, she was just a couple months ahead of me, and it was a blessing to have a friend to go to with the strange parts of pregnancy (moms you know what I'm talking about!). And now she is a blessing to me because I can ask her all kinds of 'first time mom' questions, it's all very fresh for her too!

So naturally I had to make her a baby quilt. Awhile back we both loved and bought fabric from a Connecting Threads line that had robots and circuit boards (don't remember the name now), in case either of us had a boy. My friend began making a sweet baby quilt from her robot fabrics, so instead of going with that theme I picked a boyish color scheme. A quilt that maybe he could grow with. Or at least a quilt that wouldn't look bad on the couch if it came to it ;-).

I really liked the look of patchwork around that time, especially smallish patchwork.
So here it is:

 Love that quilty texture! A local long-arm quilter quilted this one (she did my modern maple quilt too) and she did a beautiful job. I came up with a relatively quick way to make these blocks. By creating strip sets and then cutting them into rows I was able to get two blocks of opposing order from each fabric pairing. Any interest in hearing more about my method? I'm sure it's not new but I could post a tutorial...

 I chose blues, greens, teals, greys and a little white to give it a look of variety while still playing in the little boy blues and greens realm. The dark navy wasn't in my original plan, I was trying to pick 'baby boy' colors, but I ended up adding it to give more contrast and 'pop'. I like that navy in there.

By the way, has anyone noticed the comeback navy blue is making? I'm starting to see it everywhere. And I like it :-).
Isn't this robot print perfect for the back?! Ahh...back when there was lush green grass and above zero temps. Miss those days!

No comments:

Post a Comment