Thursday, January 22, 2015

Christmas gifts - Part 2

I finally got around to photographing the Christmas goodies I made for Lorelai! Between the dreary unphotogenic weather and normal mothering business it has taken me far too long. Plus we were using them already so there was the matter of getting them through the laundry ;-).

In a previous post I mentioned that I'd be turning these lovely towels into embellished hooded towels for Lorelai. She has outgrown the infant hooded towels and I still really like having a hood for her...plus this project is just cute and fun!


I used this tutorial. It's a very simple project, the trickiest part was sewing over the really thick parts of the towels. I broke a few needles. I found ways to avoid the thickest parts though, so no more needles were sacrificed in the making of this gift. The blue towel went to my nephew, and I wrapped it up before snapping a photo of the finished product.



I love this raspberry towel, it's probably my favorite. As luck would have it, around Black Friday towels were on sale everywhere, so I got a really good deal on all of these. I wasn't thinking during my online ordering frenzy though, you can make two hooded towels out of one hand towel so I should have doubled up on the colors. Next time. Flannels were on sale at JoAnn too. They had so many cute prints to choose from!



When Lorelai was born my dad nicknamed her 'little cupcake'. It stuck. So when I saw this festive cupcake print I had to have it. I didn't have a plan for it when I bought it, but I think it's cute on a towel.



This was my attempt at getting Lorelai to model her towel-ha! She wouldn't keep the hood on for more than a second and she was off before I could even get her to face me! Too busy for momma I guess.


And here they are, all stacked up. We've been using them regularly now and we love them. They are so cozy and plenty roomy for our little cupcake.

On to my second project. This was a big one. By big I mean intimidating for me. I decided to make Lorelai a Christmas dress since I made her one last year. This time I actually bought a pattern off of Etsy. I thought that would make things a little easier, take some of the guesswork out of the project. I am not much of a garment seamstress. I've made a few things in the past but I get so discouraged when things don't fit perfectly and need a lot of adjustment.

The pattern was great, detailed instructions and great photos. It comes with several options-short, long, or 3/4 sleeve, sash or no sash. Since this is a winter dress I went with long sleeves.


I think it turned out pretty cute! It was a bit big on her (I made the 12 month size), and I wasn't surprised because she is such a peanut for her age. I ended up shortening the sleeves a little. And that fabric! This was the year of the penguin. It started with a cute little penguin decorating we have in our living room. Then we found a cute little stuffed penguin at a craft fair for one of her Christmas presents. So this fabric was perfect.



And here we are on Christmas Eve, getting ready to go to church. She had just woken from her nap, like momma it takes her a while to wake up!


No comments:

Post a Comment