Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Catch-up

It's been busy around here and I was out of town for a few days so I'm a little behind on some of my projects. I have made progress though, and I even have a couple of finishes to show off, but unfortunately the weather has not been photo friendly lately.

So, I'm taking this opportunity to journal about a couple of things I made last year.


Last spring I saw these herringbone blocks popping up everywhere and they looked so fun I had to try. I used mostly scraps for this quilt, all colors except brown, and a herringbone block tutorial from Rachel at Stitched in Color. These blocks were really fun to put together...except when I got to the squaring up and joining part. Lots of times my seams didn't match up from block to block. I remember trying different cutting techniques to try and be more precise or at least consistent, but never really figured it out. Instead I just 'auditioned' where each block should go based on how well the seams matched. It turned out pretty well save for one seam that's pretty off-can you find it?!

This quilt is kind of crazy up close, but I like the effect when you step back and look at it from a distance. I sold it to a friend who's making good use of it. I've recently seen others make these blocks with a more controlled color scheme and I love how that looks, some day I'll try it too.

Another trend from the blogging universe-dresden plates. I've noticed that I like to try new things a lot, and rarely make the same block or design twice. I guess I get bored easily. Anyway, I bought the EZ dresden ruler and used a charm pack of Sweetwater's Reunion fabric to make this pillow cover. I think my favorite part is the echo quilting in the grey background-I love the texture it adds! I submitted this pillow to my Guild's 2012 quilt show and it took second place in its category. I was blessed to have my family and friends come see my entry and support my hobby-they're pretty awesome.

Hopefully I'll have pretty new photos soon! Hunkering down for another snow storm headed this way...

2 comments:

  1. Hi Alanna. Just poking around your blog. Your herringbone is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun to see each herringbone block come together :). Thank you for stopping by my blog!

      Delete