Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Rainbow Road (Curves Class Project)

Finally, a finish! Last week in Curves Class Rachel taught us about improv curves. The project I was most excited to tackle was Rainbow Road-a fun, colorful table runner. The improv piecing was a lot of fun (and hard to screw up!) but I will say I had some difficulty joining the rows. You basically wind up overlapping the wonky rows, then trimming them simultaneously so they have matching curves...then flip and stitch. It was the flip and stitch part that was hard for me. Comparing back to Rachel's sample, I think my curves look a little lame. They're just not the soft, rolling hills and valleys that I was hoping for.


Still I'm happy with how this runner turned out. I used a charm pack from Connecting Threads, it's really colorful and vibrant-perfect for summer I think.


For the quilting I followed the dominate curves between rows. I took Rachel's suggestion for the back and used a heavier home dec weight fabric by Amy Butler (same fabric I used for my tote a few weeks ago), no batting. I really like the weight of the runner without batting, and how flat it lays.



Curves Class has been challenging, but in a good way. I feel like I'm learning a lot, definitely need more practice is some areas though.

Going to veg on the couch for awhile-was out shoveling about a foot of snow and I'm feeling it!

4 comments:

  1. Love it! I spy bookish!!! Can't wait to check it out in person!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, yes you are correct-there's some bookish in there :)

      Delete
  2. Darling runner ; ) good for you for doing curves!

    ReplyDelete